Podcast Directories. Directories. Directories.

12 mins read

Somewhere in the world, your future audience members are going about their day not knowing you exist. But at some point, they will come across you and perhaps become your biggest fan. What you never know is how they’ll find you.

So, you must create as many opportunities as possible for an intersection to occur.

One of those ways is with podcast directories. While that may sound complicated, it isn’t. You’re already familiar with some of them, like Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Podcasts. A directory is really just a database (or list) of podcasts listeners can search through to find shows they want to listen to. 

In fact, 99% of podcasts are consumed via apps/directories. Chartable shows that around 70% of podcasts are listened to on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. That leaves the rest of the directories competing for 30%, and they are vying hard for listeners—people who will become their biggest fans. 

Deezer is one of those directories. It has amassed 16 million active users and 245K fans on Twitter. It tweets five to six times per day in hopes of reaching new fans and engaging the ones they have. Isn’t that a community you’d like to be part of? Can you imagine one person finding your podcast through them? How about 1,000? 

Anghami is a directory that can help you reach thousands, if not millions, of people you could never reach alone. It serves 15 million in the Middle East and North Africa region of the world. They have a weekly trending chart, podcast of the week, and active social media team that will help you reach a new audience if you’re among their community. 

Not only that, but a directory like Anghami can also be a monetization partner. It has an ad-free subscription model that pays a commission to promoters. If your podcast is listed in the Anghami directory, it could be a natural fit to promote their offers as an affiliate and take home a commission. 

Adding your podcast to the different directories is akin to hiring people to help market your podcast for you. And while it does take a little time and effort to manually submit to each one, it can be very worth it. 

Fortunately, your hosting company probably already broadcasts your RSS feed to many of the directories automatically. And then there are other directories that automatically pull their list from places like Apple Podcasts. 

You are likely aware of the big directories, but how about the others in this list of 50? 

AFKLoud

All the Elements

Anghami

Anypod

Apple

Audacy

Audio Fiction UK

Breaker App

Caribbean Podcast Network

Castbox

CrossPods

Deezer

Double Twist

Free Podcast Directory

Fyyd

Gaana

Goodpods

HeadlinerFlix

Holonet Radio

Hubhopper

iHeartRadio

iVoox

Jiosaavn 

Kradl.io

Lava

Learn Out Loud

Listen Notes

Naija 

Podhub

Overcast

Pandora

Plutus Foundation Podcasts

Pocket Casts

Podcast Addict

Podcast Gang

Podcast Guru

Podcast Index

Podchaser

Podhero

Podhound

Podkicker

Podknife

Podlp

Podme

Podopolo

Samsung Bixby

Spotify

The Podcast App

Tune In

UF Podcast Directory

Also, there are a variety of podcast newsletters that specialize in discovering new podcasts for their audience. You can certainly wait for the authors of the newsletters to find you… or, you could accelerate that possibility by subscribing to their newsletters, following them on social media, and engaging with them in a way that adds value to their audiences. 

Here are a few to start with: 

GoodPods

Podcast Gumbo Newsletter

Podcast Pontifications

I Hear Things

Sounds Profitable

Find That Pod

Earbuds Podcast Collective

DiscoverPods

SmashNotes

Podcast Delivery

Before running off to register your show at all the different directories and/or engaging with newsletters, it would make sense to first take stock of your show. There is no uniformity among the different directories. They ask different questions, need various-sized images, and always want to categorize your podcast in the least-specific ways.

But you do want to make sure you get everything as similar as possible, and the effort it takes to make changes is sometimes monumental. So, make sure you’re clear on what you consider to be the perfect title, description, logo, and categories, and confirm that your social media handles and website are all in alignment. 

It would also make a lot of sense to keep track of all the directories you are in, the urls to those directories, and the urls to your show on those directories. You never know when you’re going to change hosts (or something else) and will need to go back to make sure the show is uniform everywhere.

Somewhere in the world, your future audience members are going about their day not knowing you exist. But at some point, they will come across you and perhaps become your biggest fan. What you never know is how they’ll find you.

So, you must create as many opportunities as possible for an intersection to occur.

One of those ways is with podcast directories. While that may sound complicated, it isn’t. You’re already familiar with some of them, like Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Podcasts. A directory is really just a database (or list) of podcasts listeners can search through to find shows they want to listen to. 

In fact, 99% of podcasts are consumed via apps/directories. Chartable shows that around 70% of podcasts are listened to on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. That leaves the rest of the directories competing for 30%, and they are vying hard for listeners—people who will become their biggest fans. 

Deezer is one of those directories. It has amassed 16 million active users and 245K fans on Twitter. It tweets five to six times per day in hopes of reaching new fans and engaging the ones they have. Isn’t that a community you’d like to be part of? Can you imagine one person finding your podcast through them? How about 1,000? 

Anghami is a directory that can help you reach thousands, if not millions, of people you could never reach alone. It serves 15 million in the Middle East and North Africa region of the world. They have a weekly trending chart, podcast of the week, and active social media team that will help you reach a new audience if you’re among their community. 

Not only that, but a directory like Anghami can also be a monetization partner. It has an ad-free subscription model that pays a commission to promoters. If your podcast is listed in the Anghami directory, it could be a natural fit to promote their offers as an affiliate and take home a commission. 

Adding your podcast to the different directories is akin to hiring people to help market your podcast for you. And while it does take a little time and effort to manually submit to each one, it can be very worth it. 

Fortunately, your hosting company probably already broadcasts your RSS feed to many of the directories automatically. And then there are other directories that automatically pull their list from places like Apple Podcasts. 

You are likely aware of the big directories, but how about the others in this list of 50? 

AFKLoud

All the Elements

Anghami

Anypod

Apple

Audacy

Audio Fiction UK

Breaker App

Caribbean Podcast Network

Castbox

CrossPods

Deezer

Double Twist

Free Podcast Directory

Fyyd

Gaana

Goodpods

HeadlinerFlix

Holonet Radio

Hubhopper

iHeartRadio

iVoox

Jiosaavn 

Kradl.io

Lava

Learn Out Loud

Listen Notes

Naija 

Podhub

Overcast

Pandora

Plutus Foundation Podcasts

Pocket Casts

Podcast Addict

Podcast Gang

Podcast Guru

Podcast Index

Podchaser

Podhero

Podhound

Podkicker

Podknife

Podlp

Podme

Podopolo

Samsung Bixby

Spotify

The Podcast App

Tune In

UF Podcast Directory

Also, there are a variety of podcast newsletters that specialize in discovering new podcasts for their audience. You can certainly wait for the authors of the newsletters to find you… or, you could accelerate that possibility by subscribing to their newsletters, following them on social media, and engaging with them in a way that adds value to their audiences. 

Here are a few to start with: 

GoodPods

Podcast Gumbo Newsletter

Podcast Pontifications

I Hear Things

Sounds Profitable

Find That Pod

Earbuds Podcast Collective

DiscoverPods

SmashNotes

Podcast Delivery

Before running off to register your show at all the different directories and/or engaging with newsletters, it would make sense to first take stock of your show. There is no uniformity among the different directories. They ask different questions, need various-sized images, and always want to categorize your podcast in the least-specific ways.

But you do want to make sure you get everything as similar as possible, and the effort it takes to make changes is sometimes monumental. So, make sure you’re clear on what you consider to be the perfect title, description, logo, and categories, and confirm that your social media handles and website are all in alignment. 

It would also make a lot of sense to keep track of all the directories you are in, the urls to those directories, and the urls to your show on those directories. You never know when you’re going to change hosts (or something else) and will need to go back to make sure the show is uniform everywhere.

 

September 2022 Issue

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Story

UTR: The John Maxwell Leadership Podcast

Next Story

The Top 8 Must-Listen Podcasts For Screenwriters

Latest from Blog

0 $0.00

WAIT! Before you go... grab a FREE Lifetime Subscription!